No matter where you live or travel, it’s important to have the prescription drugs you need. To make this possible, your TRICARE pharmacy benefit is available worldwide. But abroad, your pharmacy options may differ.
“In some areas, you may have access to military pharmacies, TRICARE Pharmaci Home Delivery and retail chain pharmacies,” said Melanie Richardson, a pharmacist in the Defense Health Agency’s Pharmacy Operations Division. “But sometimes out-of-network pharmacies will be your only option for getting prescriptions abroad.
Knowing your pharmacy options can help you choose an option with lower out-of-pocket costs. As described in TRICARE Pharmaceutical Program Handbookyour costs are based on how you fill your prescription, beneficiary status, and prescription drug category.
Whether you live abroad, or are planning to move or travel there, read on to learn more about taking advantage of pharmacy benefits.
Where: the US territories of Guam and Puerto Rico and some countries outside the United States. Use the Find a Military Hospital or Clinic tool to see if there is a military pharmacy near you.
Quantities and costs: You can get up to a 90-day supply of most covered drugs. You will have no out-of-pocket costs.
- Call the pharmacy to see if the prescription can be filled there. Some drugs are not available in military pharmacies.
- Your prescription must be from an authorized, licensed healthcare provider.
- Some military pharmacies only fill prescriptions from military providers.
- US territories, including APO and FPO addresses
- Abroad, if you have an APO, FPO or DPO address
- Not available in Germany
Quantities and costs: You can get up to a 90-day supply of covered drugs with free standard shipping. Active duty service members (ADSM) have no costs. All other eligible customers pay a co-pay for home delivery.
- Prescriptions must be from a licensed healthcare practitioner in the US.
- Prescriptions that require refrigeration typically cannot be shipped to the US territories of American Samoa, Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands or other overseas locations.
- You can manage your home delivery prescriptions online or with the Express Scripts Pharmaci mobile app.
Where: All US territories except American Samoa. Use the Find a Pharmacy tool to find a retail network pharmacy near you.
Quantities and costs: You can get up to a 30-day supply of a covered drug for one copay or a 90-day supply for three copays. ADSMs do not pay anything.
More information: If you are not an ADSM, you cannot refill certain maintenance medications at retail network pharmacies after two refills. If you live in the US or a US territory, you must refill them via home delivery or at a military pharmacy after two refills.
Where: Available worldwide—all retail pharmacies in American Samoa and locations outside the US and other US territories are not network pharmacies.
Costs: You will pay the full price for your prescription in advance. You can then apply to International SOS, TRICARE’s foreign contractor, for reimbursement. Reimbursements are subject to cost sharing, co-payments, deductibles and other costs.
TRICARE does not cover over-the-counter (OTC) drugs outside the US and US territories. This includes drugs that are OTC in the US and require a prescription in another country. Plan ahead! Before you travel, make sure you do the following:
- Refill any prescriptions you need during your trip. Contact your doctor if you have no refills left.
- Make sure you have enough of each medicine for the entire trip. If you need additional medication, you can request an early refill. If you live in the US, call Express Scripts. If you live in the US or abroad, call International SOS.
- And don’t forget—if you lose or forget your medicine, you can call for help. Call Express Scripts if you live in the US or call International SOS if you live in the US or abroad. You may need to fill a prescription at an out-of-network pharmacy.
Learn more about filling prescriptions while traveling and care while traveling.
Need more information about the TRICARE pharmacy program? Look TRICARE Pharmaceutical Program Handbook.
Would you like to receive the latest TRICARE news by email? Visit TRICARE subscriptionsand create your own personalized profile to receive updates on benefits, news and more.
#Obtaining #TRICARE #prescriptions
Image Source : newsroom.tricare.mil